Selasa, 27 Juni 2017

RELATIVE CLAUSE


Clauses consisting of subject and verb. For adjective or explains a noun in a sentence. There are five types of connecting words used in this phrase, Who. Whom, Whose, Which, and That.

Subject
 Object
 Possessive
who
whom, who
whose
which
which
whose
that
that


Example :
as subject (see Clauses Sentences and Phrases)
•       Isn’t that the woman who lives across the road from you?
•       The police said the accident that happened last night was unavoidable
•       The newspaper reported that the tiger which killed its keeper has been put down.
As object of a clause (see Clauses, Sentences and Phrases)
•       Have you seen those people who we met on holiday?
•       You shouldn’t believe everything that you read in the newspaper.
•       The house that we rented in London was fully furnished.
•       The food was definitely the thing which I enjoyed most about our holiday.

We also use when with times and where with places to make it clear which time or place we are talking about:
•       England won the world cup in 1996. It was the year when we got married.
•       I remember my twentieth birthday. It was the day when the tsunami happened.
•       Do you remember the place where we caught the train?
•       Stratford-upon-Avon is the town where Shakespeare was born.
But we can leave out the word when:
•       England won the world cup in 1996. It was the year we got married.
•       I remember my twentieth birthday. It was the day the tsunami happened

We use who, whom, whose, and which (but not that) in relative clauses to tell us more about a person or thing.
As subject (see Clauses, Sentences and Phrases)
•       My uncle, who was born in Hong Kong, lived most of his life overseas.
•       I have just read Orwell’s 1984, which is one of the most frightening books ever written.
As object (see Clauses, Sentences and Phrases)
•       We saw the latest Harry Potter film, which we really enjoyed.
•       My favourite actor is Marlon Brando, who I saw in “On the Waterfront”.
We can use whom instead of who as object:
•       My favourite actor was Marlon Brando, whom I saw in “On the Waterfront”.

We often use quantifiers and numbers with relative pronouns:
many of whom - most of whom - one of which - none of whom
some of which - lots of whom - two of which - etc.
We can use them as subject, object or object of a preposition.
•       She has three brothers, two of whom are in the army.
•       I read three books last week, one of which I really enjoyed.
•       There were some good programmes on the radio, none of which I listened to.

We often use the relative pronoun which to say something about a clause:
•       He was usually late, which always annoyed his father.
•       We’ve missed our train, which means we may be late.


Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar